Dear Filmmakers, submissions for Filminute 2022 officially open February 1st, 2022..
10 CRITERIA FOR ENTERING
- Your film must be 60 seconds – no more, no less.
- Produce your one-minute piece at broadcast quality.
- Consider your viewing audience – from mobile phones, to broadband to televisions, to theatre screens.
- Contributors must be the sole author(s) of the entry.
- You may submit more than one film in accordance with the official Filminute rules and regulations.
- No unauthorized use of copyrighted material.
- Submissions will be made electronically.
- Filminute will reserve the right to refuse any entry at its own discretion. Submitted material must not contain obscene, unlawful or objectionable material.
- Content created to promote any product or service will not be accepted.
- The exhibition and competition will be open to any resident of planet Earth.
Filminute 2022, Official Rules & Regulations
Filminute 2022, Official Rules & Regulations
Filminute is the international one-minute film festival that showcases, awards and promotes the best one-minute films from around the world. Filminute is built to generate the largest amount of exposure possible for the one-minute filmmakers and the collection of one-minute films showcased, short-listed, and awarded by an international jury and the public.
WHAT’S TO KNOW
- Open to any resident of planet Earth
- Filminute 2022 is open to the best one-minute films worldwide, regardless of previous screenings, awards, prizes etc.
- Submit entries for the festival up until midnight, September 15th (PST).
- Early entries qualify for a variety of Filminute showcases and interviews.
- Submissions open March 31st, 2022.
- Submissions close midnight, September 15th , 2022.
- Filminute showcases and interviews: May 1st – September 30th, 2022.
- The Filminute Festival, including final jury selection and public voting, will take place from October 15th – November 15th, 2022.
- Filminute 2022 awards will be announced November 15th, 2022.
Filminute is an International One-Minute Film Festival and competition in which filmmakers will compete to have their one-minute films selected for screening during the festival across a variety of media platforms for jury and audience awarded honours. Filminute accepts one-minute films from the categories of Feature Minute, Animation, Documentary and Fan film (see Filminute Categories, Section 3.0). Submissions will compete for the jury-awarded BEST FILMINUTE and the audience-awarded People’s Choice. (‘Filminute Categories’) The jury will also pick five films for commendation. Submissions officially open March 31st, 2022, and close at midnight on September 15th, 2022 (PST).
The contest is open to all persons capable of creating a broadcast quality one-minute film. (Filminute recognizes that “broadcast quality” is a subjective term. Is your finished film suitable for cinema screening? Does it meet the expectations of the audience and the jury as a quality presentation?)
Employees of Filminute, and their respective affiliates, parents, subsidiaries, and the immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of each such employee are not eligible to participate. Filminute will be entitled to terminate, suspend or modify either the contest or the official rules at any time.
3. FILMINUTE CATEGORIES
- Works that are acted out by flesh-and-blood actors, also known as “live action.”
- Illusion of motion by consecutive display of static images which have been created by hand or on the computer
- A factual following of an event or person to gain an understanding of a particular point or issue.
- A film or mashup inspired by a movie, television show, comic book, or a similar source, created by fans rather than by the source’s, copyright holders, or creators.
* Category definitions sourced from Wikipedia
4. ENTRY PROCESS
Complete the following steps to register and submit your film:
- Visit www.filminute.com (the “Registration Site”) and complete all information requested.
- Once you have completed and submitted the required registration information, Filminute will make arrangements with you to review your film.
- As a condition of registration you will be required to click where indicated to signify that you accept these Official Rules and that you have obtained all necessary Clearances (as hereinafter defined) prior to submitting your film.
- Any films accepted for the final jury voting must have completed the registration process and be submitted no later than midnight (PST) on September 15th, 2022.
- All one-minute films registered at the Filminute Registration Site will be reviewed by the Filminute 2022 Selection Committee, the Executive Directors and/or staff of Filminute.
In the event that more than one person or group has participated in the production of a film submitted for entry, the film will be deemed entered by the person or group whose name is submitted through the registration process. If the film is selected as the winner in its category, the prize will be awarded to that individual or group only. If the same film is submitted by more than one entrant, the first entrant to have completed the registration process and uploaded the film will be deemed the entrant of that film. You may submit more than one film in accordance with the entry process, but you cannot submit the same film more than once.
5. FILM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
All films must meet the following requirements and specifications to be eligible:
- The film must be exactly 60 seconds in total running time, including titles andcredits.
- The submitted film must be in Quicktime or Windows Media Player format and encoded according to the encoding requirements set forth at the Registration Site. (Submissions must not exceed 10MB Maximum, however keep in mind films accepted to the Filiminute 2022 shortlist must be produced at broadcast quality and be available in high resolution format to accommodate offline screenings).
- Non-English language works must include English subtitles.
- Films accepted to a prior Filminute festival shortlist are not eligible for Filminute 2022.
- Filminute will reserve the right to refuse any entry at its own discretion. Submitted material must not contain obscene, unlawful or objectionablematerial.
- The film must not, in the sole and unfettered discretion of Filminute, contain any sexually explicit, disparaging, libelous or other inappropriate content.
- Content created to promote any product or service (e.g television commercials) will not be accepted.
6. INVITED WORKS
Works invited to participate in the festival and showcases will be shown in the section we believe most appropriate.
7. VOTING, RATING & JUDGING
PUBLIC VOTING AND RATING PHASE
Entries will be posted on www.filminute.com and available for public viewing. The public voting phase will be between October 15th , 2022 and November 15th, 2022. During the pubic voting phase anyone visiting the site will be able to rate the films and leave comments. During the public voting phase individuals who submit a valid email address on the Filminute website (or other official voting location) will be able to rate the shortlisted films and vote for their overall favourite one-minute film. The film with the most public votes will be eligible to receive the Filminute People’s Choice award. Limit: one (1) vote per person, per e-mail address during the Competition Period. Votes generated by script, macro or other automated means or any other means intended to impact the integrity of the voting process as determined by Filminute are void. The entry with the most votes from the public will be honoured with the audience award.
FILMINUTE JURY VOTING
The 25 shortlisted films will be judged by an international jury of film, media, arts and entertainment professionals (“Filminute Jury”) selected by Filminute. The Filminute Jury will award one film “BEST FILMINUTE” as well as designate 5 other films for commendation. The jury will reach its conclusion based on two criteria: 1) films that “resonate” beyond one minute, films that affect the viewer in the same way a great film does, and 2) consideration will be made for films with the potential for continuity, for expansion into series, short, or even a feature film. Filminute reserves the right to select fewer than twenty-five (25) films for the Filminute 2022 shortlist, if, in its sole discretion, it not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified entries. All potential winners will be notified by e-mail October 24th – Oct 26th, 2022 and will be required to sign and return to Filminute an additional Affidavit of Eligibility and Publicity and Liability release within ten (10) days from the date of notification.
8. IF YOUR WORK IS SELECTED
You must provide the following:
- High resolution, exhibition copy by a designated date
- Full digital press kits including film stills and director photo
- Filmmakers whose works are selected for the Festival grant the Filminute International One-Minute Film Festival and related entities the rights to use footage, stills and/or titles, and information from the film for promotional purposes.
- Filmmakers whose works are selected for the festival agree to provide Director and Producer contact information and grant the Festival the right to provide this information to film industry organizations sponsoring Festival events at its discretion.
9. ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?
10. THIRD PARTY RIGHTS & CLEARANCES
All one-minute films must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity. If the film contains any material or elements that are not owned by the entrant and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, the entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to the submission of the film, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit use and exploitation of the film by Filminute in the manner set forth in the Official Rules without additional compensation, including, without limitation, location releases for footage shot at any location; name, voice and likeness releases for any person whose name, voice and/or likeness appears in the film (other than entrant); releases for the use of any props, set dressings and other materials used in the film; releases from any individuals participating in the production of the film and releases for any other audio and/or audio-visual materials not wholly owned by entrant, which, in each case, are used in the film (collectively the “Clearances”). If any person(s) appearing in any film is (are) under the age of majority in their state of residence, the signature of a parent of legal guardian is required with each release. All signatures must be original.
11. SPONSOR’S RIGHTS TO DISQUALIFY
At any time during the Competition, Filminute reserves the right, in its sole and unfettered discretion, to disqualify and remove any film that potentially or actually infringes any third party’s copyright(s).At any time during the Competition, Filminute reserves the right, in its sole and unfettered discretion, to disqualify and remove any film that it believes does not fall within the entry requirements in these Offical Rules. Filminute reserves the right, in its sole and unfettered discretion, to verify at anytime during the Competition that all necessary Clearances relating to any film have been obtained. If Filminute believes, in its sole and unfettered discretion, that an entrant has failed to obtain any of the necessary Clearances relating to the entrant’s film, the entrant’s film will be disqualified and removed.
12. ENTRANT PERMISSIONS
- By participating in this Competition, entrants agree that during the Competition Period, Filminute and its sponsors and partners are authorized to display the films on the Filminute Site and on any and all other media in connection with the Competition.
- By participating in the Competition, entrants grant permission to Filminute to use their names, likenesses, photographs, voices, sounds and/or biographical information and films in connection with the Competition and for any and all advertising, publicity and promotional purposes relating to the Competition without additional compensation, unless prohibited bylaw.
- As a condition of becoming a winner in any of the Filminute Categories, each winner will be required to sign a Release Agreement Form granting Filminute: i) the right to display their film, in whole or in part, on the Filminute Site and/or on any websites owned or operated by or on behalf of Filminute or any of its related or affiliated companies, and on any website owned or operated by or on behalf of Filminute; ii) the right to use their film to create trailers, either for individual films or as a collection of films; and/or (iii) the right, if his/her film is selected as the Best Filminute, to display the film on any website owned or operated by or on behalf ofFilminute.com following completion of the Competition Period.
Filminute is not responsible for technical failures of any kind or any problems or delays arising from any technical, software or equipment malfunctions, computer viruses, congestion or unavailability of the Filminute Screening Room or the Registration Site during the Contest Period, any other technical, equipment or human errors of any kind, or any damage or alteration to your film that may occur in connection with the uploading or display of the film. If Filminute determines in its sole discretion that there is any suspected or actual evidence of electronic or non-electronic tampering or fraud relating to any portion of the Contest, or if technical difficulties compromise the integrity of the Contest, Filminute reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest, in whole or in part, at any time without notice. Filminute is not liable for any failure to screen one-minute films at any venue if that failure is due to circumstances beyond itscontrol.
14. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
By entering into this Contest, entrants hereby release and discharge Filminute and its respective affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, agents, representatives, independent contractors, officers, employees and directors from and against any and all claims, liabilities, costs, damages and expenses of any kind arising out of or relating to their participation in this Contest, their use or acceptance of any prize, the use by Filminute of any films submitted by entrants and/or any actions or decisions of Filminute in connection with the conduct and administration of this Contest. Entrants hereby waive any right to seek injunctive or other equitable relief in connection with any claim against Filminute, any of the Co-Sponsors, or any of their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, assigns, agents, representatives, independent contractors, officers, employees and directors.
The Competition is governed and subject to the laws of the United Kingdom. The decisions of Filminute are final and binding in all matters relating to this Contest.
16. FESTIVAL ENTRY FORM
Please read the festival rules before proceeding to the festival entry form. The festival entry form requires that you select the Filminute Category for your one-minute film (one category per entry.).
17. FILMINUTE FILM FESTIVAL REGISTRATION
STATE OR PROVINCE
* POSTAL CODE OR ZIP CODE
* CONFIRM EMAIL
* MOVIE TITLE
* CATEGORY (Feature Minute, Documentary, Animation, Fan Film)
* MOVIE SYNOPSIS
* Required field
18. ENTRY FORMATS
Filminute only accepts the following specifications:
- Films may only be submitted electronically and ideally with a link to YouTube or Vimeo (we recommend private with a password).
- Submitted films must be .mov, .mp4, or a format compatible with YouTube.
- Films must be FHD ( 1920 x 1080 px) or HD ( 1280 x 720 px) with 16:9 Aspect Ratio.